The Tuscarawas County Humane Society is a nonprofit 501C (3) organization founded in 1977 in Dover, Ohio, and operates solely by means of donations and does not receive revenue nor help from any municipal, county or state government.
During its first 30 years, it was run by a small group of people and offered assistance to the County Dog Pound and a private cat shelter by providing rescue, spay/neuter discount coupons, other vet fees, micro-chipping, and adoptions.
Their Mission Statement reads:
The vision of the Tuscarawas County Humane Society is to create a community where all animals receive appropriate care, love and attention at all times; are treated with dignity and respect; provided necessary veterinary care; and protected from all forms of cruelty, abuse and neglect.
The Purposes of the Humane Society shall be to:
- Ensure the best possible quality of life for all animals, and to promote respect and reverence for life by establishing a "no kill" philosophy;
- Establish and maintain a fiscally-responsible shelter for rescued, abandoned, abused or neglected animals in Tuscarawas County;
- Promote the adoption of rescued, abandoned, abused or neglected animals into safe, lifelong homes;
- Eliminate animal cruelty, abuse and neglect by educating the adults and youth in our community;
- Promote an affordable spay/neuter program to end the overpopulation of companion animals in Tuscarawas County; and
- Lobby in support of animal rights legislation.
The Boxiecat Shelter Partner Program is a co-sponsorship program that raises awareness for shelter initiatives and goals. The program allows the Boxiecat cat litter delivery service to donate a portion of revenue toward the well-being of cats, and, at the same time, lend a hand in raising local and national awareness of shelter initiatives and goals such as adoptions and donations.
We encourage interested parties to take a look at the wonderful Tuscarawas County Humane Society website, which demonstrates their passion, and to consider a donation the shelter which is tax deductible.